Extra Social Security Dollars for Military Service

Since 1957, if you had military service earnings for active duty you paid Social Security taxes on those earnings.

Under certain circumstances, special extra earnings for your military service from 1957 through 2001 can be credited for Social Security purposes. According to the Social Security Administration, these extra earnings may help you qualify for Social Security or increase the amount of your Social Security benefit.

You are credited with $300 in additional earnings for each calendar quarter in which you received active duty basic pay for active duty military service earnings between 1957 and 1977.
From 1978 through 2001, for every $300 in active duty basic pay, you are credited with an additional $100 in earnings up to a maximum of $1,200 a year.

If your active military service occurred:
•From 1957 through 1967, we will add the extra credits to your record when you apply for Social Security benefits.
•From 1968 through 2001, you do not need to do anything to receive these extra credits. The credits were automatically added to your record.
•After 2001, there are no special extra earnings credits for military service.

For further details go to: Social Security Earnings for Military Service

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>